The purpose of this course is to familiarize students with modern mobile technologies and the possibilities they offer for the implementation of innovative applications. Moreover the course emphasizes on the increased security needs and optimal resource management arising from the nature of wireless communication.
- The view of the evolution of mobile networks
- The emergence of requirements arising in the management of resources, design of new protocols, ensuring accuracy and reliability in a wireless environment
- Understanding the techniques for the development of mobile applications utilizing the Internet.
First part: Architectures of mobile networks
- Wireless environment and multiple access (FDMA / TDMA / CDMA / ODFMA / S-FDMA).
- Overview of mobile communications architecture and components of networks (GSM, GPRS, EDGE, 3G, HSPA, LTE).
- Specifications of LTE, LTE-Advanced and analysis of the architectures.
- Examples of time-scheduling algorithms in UMTS, LTE systems.
- Mobility management and interference in LTE.
- Base stations collaboration issues.
- Security issues.
- The TCP in wireless links: problems and suggested techniques. Technologies and architectures for mobile devices location extraction.
- Ad-hoc networks, wireless sensor networks.
- Overview of WiFi, WiMAx.
- Convergence of wireless, wired and optical networks, 5 th generation networks.
Second part: Developing applications for mobile devices
- Technologies of ‘smart’ mobile devices (smartphones / devices).
- Developing Android Applications.
- Introduction – Basic Concepts – Installation Tools, Create Program, Run the Emulator, Building Blocks, Use of Resources.
- Design User Interface, Graphics, Using Web Services Positioning with GPS, SQLite, Multi-Touch applications, Applications at Google play.
- Overview of Application Development in Iphone, Windows Phone.
- Theologou (2007): “Networks of Mobile & Personal Communications”, Tziolas.
- Kanatas, F.. Constantine, and C.. Pantos (2008): Mobile Communication Systems, Papasotiriou.
- Glisic, “Advanced Wireless Networks: 4G Technologies”, Wiley 2006.
- Mark L. Murphy, Beginning Android 2: Begin the journey toward your own successful Android 2 applications, Apress 2010.
- Sayed Y. Hashimi, SatyaKomatineni, Dave MacLean: Pro Android 2: Covers Google’s Android 2 Platform including advanced topics such as OpenGL, Widgets, Text to Speech, Multi-Touch, and Titanium Mobile, Apress 2010.